Monday, June 27, 2011

Growing Up

So this is what it's like to be grown up, eh?  I'm completely and utterly exhausted and wish, with every fiber of my being, that I can actually go to bed on time tonight.  These are some pretty pathetic statements coming from a twenty-one year old...I know.  But what am I supposed to feel like after working eight hours, coming home to make dinner, taking my brother to the park, giving him a bath, making a blueberry pie, doing dishes, and helping my mom with her homework?  I barely had enough energy to make my own bed and put away my laundry, lest I start dressing out of the laundry basket again, and believe me: nobody likes a wrinkled shirt! 

I spend my time at work daydreaming about what we should have for dinner and trying to memorize grocery lists.  Keeping track of who likes what to eat and who needs certain things to drink tend to make things a little complicated.  Add to that, the fact that my dad basically only eats beef and has to have it every meal.  How many variations of meatloaf can you cook before throwing up?

Apparently growing up means that I now have bills to pay.  I know that I shouldn't complain because I do live at home and my bills are pretty small, but they still seem big to me.  I have a car payment, groceries, rent, cell phone, credit card payment, insurance, student loans, and medical insurance all taking a chunk out of my paycheck every week.  Welcome to the real world, right?!

And to top it all off, I've probably gained about fifteen pounds in the last three months.  Wonderful!  I find that I eat a lot, especially junk food, when I'm stressed out.  The future's not looking too bright on that size 10 goal!  Oh well.

My point isn't to complain, but just to say WOW!  Your hear about these things from your parents when growing up: groceries are expensive, expect the unexpected, save your money, "I wish I had your life/worries", etc.  My point is, they're right!  Growing up is stressful and hard, but it's also rewarding.  Like now, I'm sitting in my newly made-up bed and eating warm blueberry pie with ice cream, basking in the beautiful silence which cloaks the house.  I just have one last thing to say: Thank you mom and dad for all of your hard work, time, and effort you put into our lives.  I can now say that I truly appreciate all of it!

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done. I suddenly feel like some blueberry pie. Growing up is not easy indeed but sounds like you are making leaps.

    ReplyDelete