Monday, December 20, 2010

04days 23hrs 50mins 33sec...

Wow!  I can't believe that it's only five days until Christmas and I still have to finish my shopping and wrapping.  Last year at this time, my shopping was done almost a month before, and brightly wrapped bundles were crowded in my closet, waiting to be opened.  I'm not sure what it is about this year, but the season has seemed to just fly by, with barely enough time to enjoy it.  Pretty soon, I'll have to drudge up the boxes from downstairs and pack away all the pretty lights and fragile ornaments.  I will once again try to cram our Christmas tree back into its original box (an almost impossible task!).  The living room furniture will have to be rearranged and swept under.

Before the actual day of Christmas arrives, our family will have celebrated an anniversary and a birthday.  This will be my parent's fifth wedding anniversary on the twenty-second, and my mom's birthday on the twenty-fourth (I won't tell how old she will be)!  I am very happy and grateful that my parents love each other as much as they do, and am glad to celebrate with them.  Five years doesn't sound like a lot of time together, but it's hard to imagine life before they were married.  As for my mom's birthday, I think she is silently freaking out a little bit.  She doesn't like the fact that she's getting older (not that she's old, but she thinks she is).  I want her to know that she's still absolutely beautiful, inside and out, and that I am proud of her for all the hard work she's done in her life.  I hope that someday, I will grow up to be just like her!

After those festive events, comes New Year's Eve.  New Year's Eve isn't a big deal in our house.  I usually spend it with my best friend, staying up at my house and eating a bunch of junk food, waiting for the ball to drop.  The past few years, my little brother would crawl up on my bed and try to stay awake to see the ball drop with us.  Sometimes he succeeded, and sometimes he didn't!  This year will be a little different, but I'm sure it will still be fun.  I know one thing for sure: I will not be eating pepperoni, crackers, and cheese at midnight (gross story...don't ask).  As far as resolutions go, I don't think I will be making any this year.  Instead, I will try to make the most out of everyday.  I know that sounds a little cheesy, but somehow it seems more realistic than making a bunch of stupid resolutions that never pan out.  Anyways, that pretty much concludes the festivities for one year and begins it for another.  At the moment, I don't want to think about next year.  Instead, I'll just sit here a while longer, staring at the beautiful Christmas tree with her twinkling lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment